Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Confederates Don't Wear Couture

Confederates Don't Wear Couture - Stephanie Kate Strohm - Graphia
The "Facts": Paperback, 240 pages, 3 days to finish

 
 
 
Summary: (From Goodreads) Libby's best friend and fabulous fashion designer, Dev, hatches a plan to jet down South and hawk his period gowns to the wives and girlfriends of Civil War re-enactors. With a pang, Libby abandons her plan to visit her boyfriend, Garrett, in Boston and jumps at the chance to help run "Confederate Couture," and let her inner history nerd loose in a 19th century playground. But Libby and Dev aren't whistling Dixie for long. Between the constant travel from battle ground to dusty battle ground (with no Starbucks in sight, mind you), blistering heat, and a violent ghost set on romantic revenge, they quickly realize Alabama's no sweet home. And the boys. . . well, let's just say Libby's got the North and the South fighting for her attention. Confederates Don't Wear Couture is another hilarious, historical romp from Stephanie Kate Strohm!

Review: I adored almost everything about this book! I first saw this book on another book blog, showcasing the new releases that week. I knew by the cover that I would have to read it. Full discloser: This is the second book in a series, and I have NOT read the first. However, I felt this book sufficiently covered the carry-over plot points quite well, so that this could be read as a stand-alone. I will warn you though, this book includes SEVERAL topics and pop culture references that will date this book. This book more than likely will NOT stay 'current' for much longer, and if you are a school library low on funds, I would not recommend using your money for this title. If you are a lover of books, and NOT a librarian or NOT low on funds, then this book will be very enjoyable!

This is a perfect light and fluffy read, especially if you enjoy historical fiction, or history at all. Stephanie has a decent grasp at how to catch and hold the attention of the reader when discussing historical facts that is quite refreshing. She doesn't over-load the book with them, as this isn't what the book is about, but you still find yourself learning something new every chapter! In fact, I would recommend this book to my students who REFUSE to read anything historical. I think they might find themselves actually entertained by it.

Rating: 3 stars  (I would have rated this book higher if this book wasn't quite as fluffy. I felt the story derailed/spent too much time on the love triangle than I would have preferred, and also for the pop culture references. I liked this book, however I know I would not be able to pass this down to my daughter, as she wouldn't understand most of the references which is what was included in almost every joke!)

*Please note also, this is not a good book to 'finish this chapter'. I think the second chapter ended on something like page 72.


Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment