Saturday, July 20, 2013

Review: Gorgeous

Gorgeous-- Paul Rudnick-- Scholastic
The Facts: Signed Hardcover-- 336 pages-- 3 workouts to read


This book was one that I picked up from Scholastic during ALA. This review is my own, and is not biased based on this fact.


Summary: Inner beauty wants out.

When eighteen-year-old Becky Randle’s mother dies, she’s summoned from her Missouri trailer park to meet Tom Kelly, the world’s top designer. He makes her an impossible offer: He’ll create three dresses to transform Becky from a nothing special girl into the most beautiful woman who ever lived.

Becky thinks Tom is a lunatic, or that he’s producing a hidden camera show called World’s Most Gullible Poor People. But she accepts, and she’s remade as Rebecca. When Becky looks in the mirror, she sees herself – an awkward mess of split ends and cankles. But when anyone else looks at Becky, they see pure five-alarm hotness.

Soon Rebecca is on the cover of Vogue, the new Hollywood darling, and dating celebrities. Then Becky meets Prince Gregory, heir to the British throne, and everything starts to crumble. Because Rebecca aside, Becky loves him. But to love her back, Gregory would have to look past the blinding Rebecca to see the real girl inside. And Becky knows there’s not enough magic in the world.

A screamingly defiant, hugely naughty, and impossibly fun free fall past the cat walks, the red carpets, and even the halls of Buckingham Palace, Gorgeous does the impossible: It makes you see yourself clearly for the first time.


My Review: This book combines two of my favorite things: finding inner beauty and ROYALS! While this book is not specific to THE Royal family (you know which one I'm talking about) it's practically a mirror image. And who can't imagine themselves as Rebecca, falling in love with Prince William?

This book caught my curiosity by the cover. Isn't it pretty? I picked up quite a few books at ALA, but I picked this one up after someone on my twitter posted a picture of the first paragraph. I loved it enough that from that paragraph alone, I picked this book next. 

I wasn't disappointed, but to be honest, it wasn't quite what I was expecting. The hard part, is that I'm not sure why. I enjoyed this book. I liked the plot, I loved the writing, and I enjoyed the characters. Yet I am still left somewhat disappointed. 

I know this isn't the best review, but as I said, I can't quite put my finger on what it was about this book I didn't like. The magic seemed lacking, and the characters seemed somewhat flat. It was hard to follow at points, as characters moved and time seemed to FLY. The plot line seemed to jump around but yet I don't think any of these elements are what I'm annoyed with. I would recommend this book, but it's not a favorite. My students will enjoy this book, as they seem to have a fascination with any book with a love story. Hopefully this might show them inside beauty is what counts. *cough*doubtful*cough*

My Rating: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment