Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Viper: Review!

Monica McCarty- Random House Publishing

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10480022-the-viper

The details:  381 pages, 2 months to read

Summary:
(From Goodreads)

Prized for his snakelike stealth and deadly strikes, Lachlan “Viper” MacRuairi is a warrior to enlist but not to trust. His only loyalty is to his purse, his indifference sealed by bitter betrayal. All that changes when Lachlan is tasked to protect and deliver Bella MacDuff to the king’s coronation and the proud, lushly sensual countess unwittingly challenges him to his greatest battle yet: to love again.

Passionate and devoted, Bella has defied Britain’s king and her own husband to place the crown on Bruce’s head, and for this she pays a terrible price: Losing her daughter and her freedom to her husband’s vengeance. Imprisoned with barbaric cruelty, she vows to reclaim her child, even if it means selling her soul and her body to a dark, lethal warrior whose eyes glint like steel, but who makes her skin tingle and her breath race. Together they embark on a rogue mission with sinister twists and turns that threatens not only Bella’s gamble to save her daughter but also her heart.


Review: Let me be perfectly honest with you. This book was terribly hard to read. It would have been a 'did not finish' title for me, if it had not been the only book I had upstairs next to the tub. 

Confession time: I love baths. My favorite feature in my house is my oversize jet tub. I also love reading historical romances in said tub. I don't know why, but they go hand-in-hand quite well.

I have a problem of forgetting to grab a new book, so when I took my last bath I was too lazy to get out and get a new book. So, I continued on with this one. It was bad. 

The characters were shallow, the story line was hard to follow, and I felt no romantic connection between the two. The main plot line of this entire book was "rescue girl. Girl wants her daughter and gets in trouble getting her back. Rescue girl. Girl wants her daughter and gets in trouble. Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat. 

This story also hints that our heroine was forced to do every sexual act under the sun with her previous husband. She thinks sex is a power tool, and acts disgusted by that idea. However, she uses her body/sex as a tool more than once. KNOWINGLY. This might seem like a small snafu, but when the book takes an entire chapter to instil in the reader how 'bad' using sex as tool is, it appears as if the author gave up. 

Another issue of concern for me was that this book was very dull and slow. The Viper is supposed to be a member of a secret group of warriors. Yet, this book lacked action and skirmishes. Our MC's are constantly on the run from what appears to be several groups of angry men, but we never get to see much of the action. Usually if a battle is mentioned, it has happened in the time jump between chapters. 

While trying to sort out my thoughts, and add my review to Goodreads, I see that this book has an overall 4.2 rating. Did we read the same book? Perhaps this is a book I needed to have read in the series order. Perhaps I needed this book hyped more to me, before reading. Perhaps I am defected. Who knows. All I know is that this book was NOT a 4+ star book for me. This book missed the mark by a mile.

Rating: 1 star
Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment